Matt Unger

Don’t call our company a startup

Play The Odds

What kid wants to win a gift card to Ikea over a gift card to Toys 'R' Us?

Growing up, my sister and I read book after book every summer. Our local library had a summer reading program that encouraged kids to read more. For every book you read, you got a certain amount of raffle entries. You placed your raffle entries into a bucket, each which corresponded to a $100 gift card from various local businesses – Toys 'R' Us, Best Buy, Target, and…Ikea. And again, what kid wants to win a gift card to Ikea? None, really. That’s why my sister and I put every single raffle entry into the Ikea bucket. We knew every kid in town overlooked the bucket, so we had a much better probability to win. Would you rather have a 10% chance of winning the hottest gift card on the block, or a 90% chance of winning an overlooked gift card?

We won the Ikea gift card. We waited a few months until our parents needed to shop there next, and sold it to them for $90. We played the odds.

Same goes for starting a business. It’s appealing to attempt to make the next big thing. The next hot startup that really blows up, that gets a billion users. However, the chances of success are miniscule. Everyone wants to take that route. Why not search for that smaller, under-served, less crowded market? If you’re going to put an immense amount of effort into something, if you’re going to repeatedly lose sleep over something, if you’re going to sacrifice a good chunk of your life for something…don’t you want it to have a very high chance of success?

Play the odds.

Matt Unger

Read more posts by this author.

Chicago

Subscribe to Matt Unger

Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox.

or subscribe via RSS with Feedly!